Pages


Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Create a Poster for Your Art Room

During the past school year I took a classroom management class. At one point I created a simple list for my students to follow and I posted it in my room. I have had lists before for rules and they were usually ignored. However, this list showed my students exactly what they needed to do to get a good grade in my class. I went over the list with them and I discovered that I didn't have to explain things as often. If a student was acting out, I could usually just look at the list at then at the student and they'd improve their behavior. I decided for this school year to put my list on a real poster. So, why am I sharing this simple idea? After over twenty years of teaching this has been the single most effective management tool I have ever used. I use the words "Successful Art Students" because most students really do want to succeed! That has been the key for this management procedure. I ended up putting this altogether at Vistaprint.
I ordered two and will laminate them when I get them in. At the beginning of each class this year, I will go over the poster several times so students understand why I created it. In my opinion if you want your students to be successful you just can't make success look like some big mystery. Here is a picture of my poster!

No comments:

Post a Comment