Pages


Friday, July 31, 2015

Reclaiming Clay

As a potter and as an art teacher, it was inevitable that some day I would discover a box or more of dried up clay.  This summer I wanted to get back into my throwing because I have been so busy with school stuff that I have neglected it.  I used to make a lot of pottery and go to art shows.  I haven't done that in a few years.  Wouldn't you know it, just when I finally get into the mood of getting back into clay, I have discovered brick after brick of dried up clay.  What to do?  Naturally, being the computer geek that I am, I hunted for ideas online.  I knew I didn't want to do the hard work of breaking up that clay and putting it into garbage cans to recycle it.  Eventually, I came across a forum that didn't really help but I saw a comment in the forum, that made me think.  I decided to take the guy's idea because it sounded plausible, and give it a try.  Lo, and behold, I have something that works beautifully and I just have to share it with other art teachers and potters.  If you have a box of dried up clay just follow my directions and you will be pleasantly surprised!

First:
 Take clay out of bag.
 Here is my clay and I must say it is hard as a rock!



Second:  Get a large heavy bath towel and soak it in water.


Third:  Wrap the bath towel around the dry clay.  Yes, I know this is messy!  Then bag it air tight into another plastic bag.  I just used good, strong garbage bags.
Fourth:  Patiently wait one whole week!

Fifth:  Take clay out of bag.  It may be a little softer on the outside but it will be perfect once it is pugged or wedged.
Sixth:
Pug the clay or have your students wedge it as they get it.  Just cut it like you normally would.
Seventh:  Enjoy your freshly pugged clay!
Eighth:  Now go out and throw pots!
This really works and that is why I am sharing it.  Thank you wonderful commenting guy on the Internet somewhere, where every you may be!






No comments:

Post a Comment